Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Who is by Your Side?

Click here to listen to blog

A little while before morning, Jesus came walking on the water toward his disciples.  When they saw him, they thought he was a ghost. They were terrified and started screaming.

At once, Jesus said to them, “Don't worry! I am Jesus. Don't be afraid.”

Peter replied, “Lord, if it really is you, tell me to come to you on the water.”

“Come on!” Jesus said. Peter then got out of the boat and started walking on the water toward him.

But when Peter saw how strong the wind was, he was afraid and started sinking. “Save me, Lord!” he shouted.

At once, Jesus reached out his hand. He helped Peter up and said, “You surely don't have much faith. Why do you doubt?”

Matthew 14:25-31

Jesus said that we would do what He did. Does that include walking on water today? I have never seen anyone, or even heard of anyone who claimed that they walked on water. There are plenty of people who say they have seen the sick healed or the dead raised to life, but not so many who claim to have walked on water.

Lesson number one in walking on water is this: "Don't try to walk on water unless Jesus tells you to do it!"

Lesson number two is: "When you walk on water keep your eyes firmly fixed on Jesus. That is the only way to keep from becoming fearful and beginning to sink."

And finally, if you start to sink quickly call out to Jesus.

I had a "walking on water moment" yesterday. I was trusting the Lord in ways that I have never trusted Him before. The storm was raging, but walking in stride with Jesus made it exciting, not fearful. Then almost without warning I started looking at the wind and the waves. My sinking started quickly and I began to panic. Like He did with Peter, Jesus reached out and kept me from sinking.

The problem of course is fear, fear of heights, fear of drowning, fear of flying, fear of anything. The Bible says that Perfect Love casts out Fear. Jesus is Perfect Love and He is the only one who can cast out and deal with all your fear! The fear of God is only fear that should remain when you walk with Jesus. And that fear is the only one that can leave you at perfect peace while standing in awe of your Eternal Creator!

"Lord Jesus, thank you for reminding me of what happened to Peter when he walked with You on the water. Help me today to be concerned only with Who is by my side and not what is under my feet! Thank you Jesus. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment