Saturday, September 12, 2015

Jesus Controls the Earthquakes!


Don't you know?  Haven't you heard?  Hasn't it been clear since the time of creation?   God is the one who rules the whole earth, and we that live here are merely insects.  He spreads out the heavens like a curtain or an open tent.   God brings down rulers and turns them into nothing.   They are like flowers freshly sprung up and starting to grow.  But when God blows on them, they wilt and are carried off like straw in a storm.   The holy God asks, “Who compares with me? Is anyone my equal?”    Look at the evening sky!  Who created the stars?  Who gave them each a name?  Who leads them like an army?  The Lord is so powerful that none of the stars are ever missing.

Isaiah 40:21-26

Since the time of creation God has ruled the whole earth! We may think that we are in control of the world around us, but that is just not the case. Satan's influence for evil is felt around the world, but God is the One who is in control. The illustration is not perfect, but God is driving the "car" of this world and Satan is just a pothole! The Enemy may make the ride uncomfortable, but he is not and cannot prevent God from taking this world to the place of His Almighty Choice! The final scenes of life on this earth will be as God has chosen and not the result of human foolishness or even Satanic ill intent!

So if I am a follower of Jesus Christ, I can be at peace no matter what happens. God is still in control if I am "blessed" according to the standards of this world, or if I am imprisoned, persecuted and even killed. I suppose there is some irony in the truth that it is more difficult for me to remain faithful to the Lord while being showered with the blessings of this world than when I am in the throes of persecution.

The conclusion of the matter is this: I must seek Jesus and not a "better life" here on this earth. If I have Jesus and He has me then all is well no matter what else is happening in my life! With Jesus, my enemies are no threat to my Eternal inheritance. If they even cut off my head then I am "Absent from the body but present with the Lord!" Jesus in my life means that my enemies cannot harm me!

"Lord Jesus, help me today to keep my eyes firmly on You and not on the world around me. When I see the mountains begin to crumble around me help me to remember that You are in control of even the earth when it quakes! May You be praised forever. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment