Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Attitude of Jesus!

Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death— even death on a cross!

Philippians 2:5-8


One of the popular words of more than a dozen years ago was the word “Tude.” My kids would speak of someone having a “Tude.” It meant that the person had a bad attitude. I don’t think the word “Tude” became an official part of the language but it did push us toward believing that an attitude is always bad. It is not.

Jesus had an attitude. His attitude is one that is totally appropriate for me to have also. The attitude of Jesus is characterized by the phrases “made himself nothing,” “humbled himself,” and “became obedient to death.”

Once I applied for a job and had an interview with a man who I believe was the most arrogant man I have ever met. Our meeting began by him detailing how important he was and how many people were trying just to spend a few minutes with him every day. He let me know that I was very blessed to sit in his presence. I know it is not a direct insult in our culture, but I saw the bottom of his feet a lot as he reclined with his feet on the desk. I did get the job and eighteen months later when I resigned he sent word and “demanded” a meeting with me before I left. I did not go to the meeting. That experience was more than thirty years ago but I still must not mention his name so that I won’t be yielding to the temptation to retaliate.

Jesus is not like that. Jesus doesn’t tell you how important He is although Jesus is the most important person who has ever lived. Jesus doesn’t tell you how powerful He is and how many people are trying to speak with Him everyday even though Jesus is the most powerful of all and every man, woman, or child who comes to God must come to God by way of Jesus Christ.

And finally, Jesus doesn’t insult me by showing me the bottom of His feet. Instead Jesus washes my feet!

Yes, Jesus is conducting job interviews also. When you work for Jesus you never get laid off or fired and Jesus Himself is right there to help you get your work done each day. It is all because of the ATTITUDE OF JESUS!

No comments:

Post a Comment