Wednesday, June 3, 2009

MORE THAN WORDS CAN TELL!

I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Ephesians 3:16-19

“I love you more than words can tell.” That was the response my mother taught me to give when I was learning to talk and answer her questions. She would say, “How much do you love me?” And I would answer, “I love you more than words can tell.” My mother delighted in playing the little game and I always enjoyed joining her in a game where all the players win!

But the truth hidden behind the question, “How much do you love me?” and the answer “More than words can tell,” is profound.

According to Ephesians 3:18 the love of Christ has measurments. It is wide, long, high and deep. If you try to visualize an object with these four dimensions you run in to a wall. In our world everything is three dimentional, but the love of Christ has four! We can grasp an object that is wide, long and high, but what do we do with the fourth dimension, “deep?”

The depth of Christ's love for me is where I run out of words. I cannot describe the depth of His love. There are yet to be coined words which would certainly be needed to speak of the depth of His love. How much does Jesus love me? He does love me and the most fundamental children's song speaks of that love. But the love of Jesus cannot be measured because nothing is big enough to be used as the ruler.

The apostle Paul prayed that we would be able to “grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ.” This is where the ordinary transitions into the extraordinary. I come to understand that which I cannot explain. I grasp what I cannot speak about. I know that which cannot be known.

Take the four dimensions wide, long, high and deep and apply them to a physical object. You will quickly see that you don't really know what to do with “deep.”

Jesus does love me MORE THAN WORDS CAN TELL!

No comments:

Post a Comment