Sunday, June 28, 2009

Stand Unshakeable!


"This is why I speak to them in parables: Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand.

In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah: ‘You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving. For this people's heart has become calloused; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them.'

But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear. For I tell you the truth, many prophets and righteous men longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it."


Matthew 13:13-17

When a crime is committed and the sleuths begin the process of investigation there is sometimes an appeal for information from the public. It is usually for eyewitnesses who were there or in the area at the time of the crime. These folks may have seen something that would help them solve the crime. The thing they saw may have little or no significance otherwise, but in light of the crime it could be the missing piece of the puzzle.

A person not trained in medicine can see the same symptoms that the doctor sees but have no idea what disease they might indicate. I can hear someone speaking Chinese and have no idea what is being said.

Seeing and hearing something does not mean that you will understand the significance of what you see and what you hear. I became an adult during the 1960’s and I had no idea how the rebellion of that decade would permanently change the fabric of our country.

When your heart is hardened, for whatever reason, you can see and hear the things of God without knowing their significance. As I write these words the world may be literally standing at the door of the return of Jesus and yet I am simply expecting another hot summer day! I may be seeing the final signs before the return of Jesus and not know it!

So then how should I live today? Should I deny that His return could be imminent? Of course I must not deny that He could come at any moment. Should I on the other hand declare to everyone that His return will be today? I must not do that either, because in spite of the signs the “day and hour” are only for God to know.

When I see the signs of His return I must let them strengthen me to stand firm in faith until the moment that He bursts on the scene in Power and Glory! The signs of His return are not for the world. They are not for discussion group fodder, but rather they are a gentle alarm letting me know that it’s almost time to “go up” rather than “get up.”

Ask the Lord to help you understand the things you see and hear so that you might be able to stand unshakeable as you wait for His return!

No comments:

Post a Comment