Monday, June 15, 2009

Real Men Cry!

Before Isaiah had left the middle court, the word of the LORD came to him: "Go back and tell Hezekiah, the leader of my people, 'This is what the LORD, the God of your father David, says: I have heard your prayer and seen your tears; I will heal you. On the third day from now you will go up to the temple of the LORD.

2 Kings 20:4-5

The first time I remember seeing my father cry was when I was five and he got word of my grandfather’s death. The last time I remember seeing him cry was when I was forty-two and we were having Thanksgiving dinner three months before his death.

I have spent lots of time in my life thinking about the fact that God hears my prayers, but almost no time pondering the attention He pays to my tears. As sure as God hears my prayers He also sees my tears. In fact, tears are a more certain indication of what is truly in my heart than prayers which can be spoken without the heart being involved in the utterance.

I once conducted a radio interview with the actor Keenan Wynn. He was the son of comedian Ed Wynn. When I asked him if the tears we see in movies are real he proceeded to cry real tears on cue. Most people cannot do that. When I cry, it is because I am “moved to the point of tears” about something.

When God hears my prayer He also looks for the tears! When a baby cries it is often because he needs something that is beyond his ability to provide. A baby cries when he is hungry or thirsty or needs a diaper change. The baby cannot satisfy any of those needs without help. Unless I recognize that I am as helpless as a baby I will not “cry” out to God. My tears in prayer will be only a well practiced emotional display.

There is a Bible verse that says that men look on the outside, but God looks at the heart. Perhaps the reason my prayers have been so ineffective is that God hears what I say, but sees no tears. Unless I am bringing before the Lord my prayers and my tears He will clearly see that I am not serious about needing His help.

I remember my father’s tears and I can tell you about the last time I saw them. Can you remember shedding tears when you prayed? God remembers your tears and your prayer.

Don’t let the wisdom of this world confuse you. REAL MEN DO CRY REAL TEARS!

No comments:

Post a Comment