Friday, June 19, 2009

The Mystery of God!

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

Hebrews 4:12-13

I love a good mystery novel. In some ways I think the Agatha Christie stories are the best. They always provide the reader with plenty of possible solutions for the crime but I have never predicted the actual resolution of one of her stories.

The Bible is certainly a mystery Book. It leaves many questions unanswered and cryptically speaks of a future that although clear and certain, the path toward that future is very much a mystery.

For God there are no mysteries! God sees everything in all creation. The next statement I am about to make is frankly a little confusing for me. God does not learn! God already knows it all! This is where the humanity of Jesus can be clearly seen. The Bible says that Jesus grew in wisdom. Those simple words imply that Jesus learned things that made Him wiser as a human being. Jesus also stated that He did not know when His return would happen. So as a follower of Jesus Christ I can be totally like Him and still be limited in my knowledge. It is comforting but it is not an excuse.

Jesus gave me the example of how to deal with the limitations of my own humanity. As a human being I must depend completely on the Father. That is what Jesus did. He trusted the Father and completely obeyed the Word of God.

When I do the same my life will be considered a complete success. When I doubt the Father and refuse to be obedient to His Word I will stumble at every turn.

There is an old hymn that says: “Farther along we’ll know all about it, father along we’ll understand. Cheer up my brother, live in the sunshine; we’ll understand it all by and by.”

The Great Commission did not say “Go into all the world and understand everything about God.” It says “Go into all the world and preach the Gospel (Good News).”

God is a mystery and try as I may I will not understand that mystery as long as I live here on this earth. Of course I will grow in wisdom even as Jesus did, but until I stand before His throne there is much that I will not and cannot know. But then “I will know, even as I am known.” That will be a moment of enlightenment beyond anyone’s imagination!

No comments:

Post a Comment