Thursday, November 8, 2012

Expect His Help!

Even though the LORD had commanded the Israelites not to worship idols, they did it anyway.  So the LORD made sure that every prophet warned Israel and Judah with these words: “I, the LORD, command you to stop doing sinful things and start obeying my laws and teachings! I gave them to your ancestors, and I told my servants the prophets to repeat them to you.”

But the Israelites would not listen; they were as stubborn as their ancestors who had refused to worship the LORD their God.  They ignored the LORD's warnings and commands, and they rejected the solemn agreement he had made with their ancestors. They worshiped worthless idols and became worthless themselves. The LORD had told the Israelites not to do the things that the foreign nations around them were doing, but Israel became just like them.

2 Kings 17:12-15

Sons become like their fathers and daughters become like their mothers. When you spend lots of time with someone you acquire characteristics and mannerisms of the other person. People, like sponges soak up the culture in which they live.

When a man or woman spends lots of time with Jesus listening to the Holy Spirit and pondering the Majesty of God he or she is changed. Let the Words of Jesus become the words you say when you are presented with similar situations. Expect to see the power of God intervene when you pray for His help. Every day wash yourself in His Holy Word because the world regularly splatters you with filth from the Evil One!

"Lord, help me to be like Jesus and not like the world around me. Give me the courage to confess my sin and be made Holy and Righteous by the Blood of Jesus Christ. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment