Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The First Cup!

When the time came for Jesus and the apostles to eat, he said to them, “I have very much wanted to eat this Passover meal with you before I suffer. I tell you I will not eat another Passover meal until it is finally eaten in God's kingdom.”

Jesus took a cup of wine in his hands and gave thanks to God. Then he told the apostles, “Take this wine and share it with each other. I tell you that I will not drink any more wine until God's kingdom comes.”

Jesus took some bread in his hands and gave thanks for it. He broke the bread and handed it to his apostles. Then he said, “This is my body, which is given for you. Eat this as a way of remembering me!”

After the meal he took another cup of wine in his hands. Then he said, “This is my blood. It is poured out for you, and with it God makes his new agreement.

Luke 22:14-20

Have you noticed that in this account of the night before Jesus died on the Cross there are two cups of wine mentioned, not just one. The first cup mentioned is to be shared while the second cup is His blood!

The symbolism of the Lord's Supper is amazing. Read about the Passover meal itself and you will learn even more about what happened that night before the crucifixion.

Followers of Jesus share a cup that touches every part of our lives. We share in the blessing of knowing Jesus and hearing His voice as we walk through life. We share a cup of suffering as we feel the push back of the world. We share a cup of pain as we are crucified with Christ.

The next time you approach "The Lord's Table" to participate in Communion also remember the first cup of Luke 22.

"Lord Jesus, I say "Yes" to Your proposal that I become part of Your Bride. May my heart be totally focused on You, Jesus, now and forever. Amen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment