Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Let the Cross Happen!

Click here to listen to blog

Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane. When they got there, he told them, “Sit here while I go over there and pray.”

Jesus took along Peter and the two brothers, James and John. He was very sad and troubled,  and he said to them, “I am so sad that I feel as if I am dying. Stay here and keep awake with me.”

Jesus walked on a little way. Then he knelt with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, don't make me suffer by drinking from this cup. But do what you want, and not what I want.”

Matthew 26:36-39

Do you want to be like Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane the night before He was crucified? As a human being Jesus did not want to go to the Cross. Jesus was about to experience the greatest suffering any man had ever or would ever embrace.

It was God's will that Jesus go to the Cross, but He struggled with that will before He finally submitted to it.

How did God feel that night when Jesus prayed in the Garden? The Bible does not say, but God is the Father and His Son was going to the Cross. God must have wanted to rescue Jesus and bring Him home. That's what fathers do. When one of my children is in trouble I have an overwhelming desire to insert myself between my child and the problem and pain. But there are times when I must stand back, as did God and let the Cross happen.

When I see my child following Jesus and having to submit to a cross in his or her life I understand more about God and His heart.

"Dear God, how amazing Your love is for me! You stood aside and let Jesus go to the Cross that I might be saved. My sin brought You great pain, even so may my repentance bring You JOY! Thank You Lord. Amen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment