Monday, May 20, 2013

Not by Keeping the Rules!

Click here to listen to blog

It was the Law itself that killed me and freed me from its power, so I could live for God.

I have been nailed to the cross with Christ. I have died, but Christ lives in me. And I now live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave his life for me. I don't turn my back on God's gift of undeserved grace. If we can be acceptable to God by obeying the Law, it was useless for Christ to die.

Galatians 2:19-21

The illustration is not perfect, but there is no sporting event which you win because you obey more rules than your opponent. Neither can you say that you are a great golfer because you obey all the rules. Obeying the rules is important, but does not in itself determine whether or not you succeed!

As a Christian your salvation depends on the sacrifice of Jesus on the Cross and not on how well you obeyed the rules. If we can be acceptable to God by keeping all the commands then why did Jesus have to die?

This is where Satan whispers in your ear: "Then do what you want. It doesn't matter. You are not saved by keeping the rules!"

Jesus responds: "If you love Me, you will keep my commandments!"

There is the missing piece of the puzzle. Salvation is all about loving Jesus! When you love Jesus the question that is always on your mind is this: "What can I do to make Jesus happy today, rather than what can Jesus do to make me happy?"

I obey the rules because it makes Jesus happy. Sometimes I don't even understand the reason for the rule, but I know Jesus does and I know that He is pleased when I obey His commands.

"Lord Jesus, I love You with all my heart. Help me to love You more. I want to keep Your commands, show me how to obey You even more today. And Lord, fill me even more with Your Holy Spirit. And may You be praised forever. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment