Monday, January 20, 2014

Jesus and Superman!







I am saying this to you now, so that when the time comes, you will remember what I have said.
I was with you at the first, and so I didn't tell you these things. But now I am going back to the Father who sent me, and none of you asks me where I am going. You are very sad from hearing all of this. But I tell you I am going to do what is best for you. This is why I am going away. The Holy Spirit cannot come to help you until I leave. But after I am gone, I will send the Spirit to you.
The Spirit will come and show the people of this world the truth about sin and God's justice and the judgment.


John 16:4-8
Have you ever wondered about why the Holy Spirit could not come while Jesus was still living here in the flesh?For most of my life I have just passed it off as one of those "some day I will know the answer, but I guess it is not really important" questions. But I am coming to believe that the answer to that question is indeed significant in my walk as a follower of Jesus today.

Do you remember the story of Superman and Clark Kent? Clark Kent was the "mild mannered reporter" who was never there when Superman showed up. I suppose you know the truth that in the story Clark Kent and Superman were one and the same. Clark Kent had to leave if Superman was to arrive! The illustration is not perfect by any means, but I believe it makes a very important point about the Holy Spirit.

Jesus once said "If you have seen Me, you have seen the Father." Jesus is plainly saying that it is even better to have the Holy Spirit live in your heart and guide your steps than to have Jesus in the flesh to walk with you on the road of life!

Somehow I have always thought that the Holy Spirit was a kind of "interim substitute" for Jesus while we wait for His return. Jesus did not say that at all. Jesus said we would be better off with the Holy Spirit in our hearts than the disciples were with Jesus walking with them daily in the flesh!

Please understand that what I am about to say is a gross understatement. When Jesus was here in the flesh we had Clark Kent, but now with the Holy Spirit we have Superman living in us! Remember Jesus even said that we would do greater things than He did in our walk with the Lord!

"Lord Jesus, I am truly amazed that You have sent the Holy Spirit to live in us and work through us as we wait for Your return! Thank You Jesus forever! Amen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment