Thursday, January 30, 2014

Who is Your Teacher?

Click here to listen to blog

When the festival was about half over, Jesus went into the temple and started teaching. The leaders were surprised and said, “How does this man know so much? He has never been taught!”

Jesus replied:

I am not teaching something I thought up. What I teach comes from the one who sent me. If you really want to obey God, you will know if what I teach comes from God or from me. If I wanted to bring honor to myself, I would speak for myself. But I want to honor the one who sent me. This is why I tell the truth and not a lie.

John 7:14-18

More than 50 years ago I had a high school English teacher who made a tremendous difference in my life. Earlier this week I found his telephone number and called him to tell him how much I appreciate what he did for me! I'm sure I should have done that years ago, but I was not thinking about how I could bless Dennis Loyd in return for the way he blessed me.

Have you thought about how you can bless Jesus for what He has done for you? One way to start is by simply telling Jesus how much you appreciate what He has done for you. Another way of thanking Jesus is by obeying God. If we want to obey God we will be able discern the source of the teaching we are hearing. Being able to identify theological error comes from our sincere desire to be obedient.

Let Jesus be your teacher. Listen to His Words and soak up His teachings into your heart. Let your life be a moment by moment response to His precepts. Then you will bring honor to God!

"Lord Jesus, I am tempted to listen to things that men simply think up and then teach as truth. May I have the wisdom and the courage to focus exclusively on things that come from Your Word and not from men! And Lord, I want to thank you again for everything You have done for me! Praise Your name forever. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment