Monday, May 25, 2009

Destroy the Devil’s Work!

"My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

John 17:20-23

Military discipline is essential when it comes to winning wars. A large army of highly qualified soldiers fighting without a leader and a unified approach to the enemy can be defeated by a much smaller army if the smaller army is fighting as one man with a plan. When soldiers are in battle their allegiance is to their commander and to each other. There might be a friendly rivalry between the army and the navy on the football field, but when they go to war they fight and die together! To win a war a country must do more than just have a good defensive force. To hold off the attacks of the enemy is good, but victory only comes with a counterattack.

Christians are part of the military of God. There is an old Christian hymn which begins with the words “Onward Christian soldiers, going as to war.” There is also a children’s song which echoes the idea, “I’m in the Lord’s army.”

Spiritual warfare is more than simply a good defense. How impressive would be the general who bragged, “The enemy attacked us forty times today and we held them off each time with no loss of life.” Of course the word would come back to the general, “Mount an attack on the enemy!”

As Christians we often take great pride in being able with the help of the Holy Spirit to defend ourselves against Satan’s offensive. And of course that is good. But what blows did you land on Satan today? Did you help to qualify Satan for a Purple Heart among the hosts of hell?

I’m afraid that often I have been a “conscientious objector” in the Lord’s army. Oh, I’m in the war zone, but only to bring comfort to wounded soldiers.

If you want to “see action” and be more than an observer here is your plan for the day. When you first arise in the morning check with the Commander and check your equipment, especially your Sword. In spiritual warfare your Sword is the Word of God. With instructions from the Commander, venture forth to seek and destroy the “works of the Devil.”

One reason Christians have trouble living together and getting along is that they are not fighting together. When soldiers go in to battle together there is a bond that lasts a lifetime. Old soldiers never forget those who stood and fought with them. So if you are having trouble getting along in your Church try a little offensive Spiritual Warfare.

Remember 1 John 3:8b says, “The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil's work.”

No comments:

Post a Comment