Sunday, May 3, 2009

Too Wonderful!

You asked, 'Who is this that obscures my counsel without knowledge?' Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know.

Job 42:3

“He knows just enough to be dangerous.”

Frankly, I can’t remember where or when I first heard the remark, but it is certainly true. A little knowledge can puff you up and make you confident way beyond all bounds of sanity or safety. I have heard that the most dangerous time for a new airplane pilot is after his first one hundred hours at the controls. Before that time he is quite cautious about everything. Then a little self confidence slips into the mix and he becomes an accident waiting to happen.

Job was no exception to the rule when he said, “Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know.”

When Job was pummeled with adversity he spoke up confidently to the Lord and defended himself before the Almighty. Job did not speak falsehood to God, but Job did not understand God. Finally, Job came to recognize that the things of God were too wonderful for him to know.

I am reminded of a group of theologians sitting around a table discussing the depths of God, each one trying to impress the others with a greater understanding of God. If God himself were to sit at the table with them, and I’m not sure He would, one word from God would send them all into a state of utter confusion.

Then why is it important for me to engage in Bible study? If I were to gain all the knowledge that is humanly possible about the Bible and memorize the entire Bible as well, what advantage would that give me when dealing with the daily struggles in my life? Of course there is an advantage in having God’s Word planted in my heart. Then it is available for the Holy Spirit to bring it to my remembrance when I am confronted with a situation or temptation that needs input from God. But knowledge by itself is not enough. In fact, knowledge without relationship by faith can puff me up and cause me to stumble.

The knowledge of God and His ways may be compared to looking out at a clear star filled sky. There are things in that sky that are near and can be known with some certainly. We know many things about the moon. In fact, God permitted arrogant man to walk on the moon only a few years ago. But the farther away the heavenly bodies are from the earth the less we know and the less we can know. The expanse of the cosmos is a mystery and will remain a mystery until God chooses to reveal it to us.

The spiritual among us are like children who look up and discover that there are stars in the sky. The most spiritual can tell us something about the moon and planets. But the rest is too wonderful for me to know as I live here on this earth.

Trusting Him in everything is essential; understanding everything is optional. If I don’t trust God, understanding will do me no good. If I do trust Him understanding can be a blessing along the way.

Just imagine what it will be like to be enrolled in the orientation class in Heaven! There will be nothing too wonderful for me to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment