Friday, May 1, 2009

Out of this World!

Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.

Hebrews 11:16

Did you ever “long for a better country?” When you come to know the Lord Jesus Christ you become totally satisfied with Him and totally dissatisfied with this earth. The more you become comfortable with Jesus, the more you will become uncomfortable with the world around you.

Almost every person who is old looks back at the days of youth as a better time. I am coming to believe that I see the days of youth as better not because the times have changed, but because I have changed. The world is, has been, and will be corrupt until Jesus returns. It was not better then and is now getting worse or the opposite. The world is not changing, but I am changing. I am being changed into the image of Jesus and that makes me see the world differently.

I was born in and grew up in Tennessee. I did not know that people in Tennessee had an accent when they spoke until I heard other people speaking differently. Now I can clearly hear the “Tennessee accent” because I speak differently as well.

When I look back at the world of fifty years ago and think to myself, “It was better then,” I am really saying that fifty years ago I didn’t see how bad it was. But as I changed, or really as Jesus changed me I could clearly see how corrupt the world is and how far away it is from the standard of God’s righteousness.

The closer you move toward God, the farther away from God the world will appear.

Some Christians spend much time and energy trying to make the world righteous. It will not happen. The very nature of the world stands in opposition to righteousness. Instead we must call men and women to confess the Name of Jesus and step out of the world in search of a new country. It is truly an OUT OF THIS WORLD experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment