Sunday, May 17, 2009

God’s Dress Code!

"Behold, I come like a thief! Blessed is he who stays awake and keeps his clothes with him, so that he may not go naked and be shamefully exposed."

Revelation 16:15


I have mixed emotions about dress codes. Some exclusive restaurants had them, I don’t know if they still do. Dress codes are still in place in many workplaces. Some businesses relax their dress codes on Fridays. Twenty or thirty years ago I would never go to worship on Sunday morning without at least a coat and tie. It didn’t have to be a suit, but a coat and tie was expected and I never thought about it, I just wore the appropriate clothing.

Then it all began to change. One Sunday morning the preacher came to church and was wearing a coat and a turtleneck sweater. It wasn’t that shocking, but I do remember it. When changes are gradual they are never really shocking. Now, I wear my suit and tie once or twice a year and feel perfectly comfortable. The Sunday morning dress code now is limited to “don’t wear dirty work clothes to church.”

Frankly, the dress codes that we impose on each other, especially in places of worship can hinder the work of the Holy Spirit among us. Why should we not welcome anyone into our assembly no matter how they are dressed? I do not need to be offended by what you wear.

Did you know however that God has a dress code for every Christian? When it comes time for you to leave this earth, if you are not wearing the right clothes you will not be welcome in Heaven!

Of course you are two steps ahead of my thinking. If you are not clothed in the righteousness of Christ when you die you will not be acceptable to God. That is what the mission of Jesus was all about. He died to pay the penalty for our sins and for His righteousness to become our clothing!

If you are trying to change God’s dress code and wear something other than the righteousness of Christ you will be eternally sorry. That is the whole fall of man rebellion. We say to God “I will do it my way and wear what I want.” Check out today what you are wearing before God. If you are still trying to wear some of your own spiritual clothing take it off and cover yourself completely with His righteousness.

When you are dressed in the righteousness of Christ, God Himself will look at you and say, “You look really good in that!”

No comments:

Post a Comment