Wednesday, May 6, 2009

In Jesus Name!

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Colossians 3:16-17

When my car was totaled in a wreck I had to send the insurance company a paper giving them the right to sign my name on the title of the old car so they could sell it and recover a few hundred dollars against the almost four thousand dollars they were sending me. The paper I signed was very specific. It only gave them the right to use my name for that one transaction.

When my life was totaled and wrecked God himself gave me the right to use the name of Jesus for everything I do! It is a stunning reality and one that is ignored most of the time. As a Christian I have the right to do everything I do “in the name of the Lord Jesus.”

When I have the right to sign your name to a document it is said that I have the “power of attorney.” When I have the right to sign the name of Jesus to everything I do the power that is available is mind boggling.

If the richest man in the world sent you a document that gave you the power of attorney to sign his name on any document, what could you do with that? It might take you a while to get used to the idea, but soon you would be signing his name on every transaction. Eventually you would use your own name for nothing.

What will you do today in the name of the Lord Jesus? Are those words just something to say at the end of a short prayer or are they the foundation for you every action? Remember, as a Christian you can say “in Jesus name” after every word you speak and everything you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment