Monday, May 18, 2009

Perfect Solution!

You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace.

Galatians 5:4

One of the most heart rending tragedies on earth is the alienation of brothers and sisters. If you are a parent of more than one child you know that one of your great joys in life is to see your children relating, helping and loving each other. And of course one of your great sorrows would be seeing your children separated by whatever would break the bond of brothers.

A much more serious tragedy would be alienation from Jesus Christ. The apostle Paul says that trying to be justified by the law will alienate you from Christ! At this point theologians would like to discuss, at an indefinite length, what that would mean and how it would or would not affect my eternal status as a believer. Without going there, I would simply say that alienation from Christ is a desperate state of the believer and one that you should avoid at all costs.

How can a guilty person stand before a court and go free without punishment? I suppose there are several ways. He could successfully cover his crime so that there is no evidence that he is guilty. He could stand before a corrupt judge who could be bribed. His lawyer could play on the emotions of the jury who would declare him not guilty because they felt sorry for him. I’m sure there are other ways of the guilty going free.

The Bible clearly says that all men have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God। So I will stand before Him as a guilty man. There is no way I can cover my sin, so that there is no evidence that I did it. There is no possibility that the Judge of all men is corrupt and can be bribed. There will be no jury of peers for me to appeal to their emotions. I will stand with only one hope of avoiding the penalty of eternal death for my transgressions. That hope is the blood of Jesus. When I base my defense on anything other than the blood of Jesus Christ I am doomed!

That is the problem with trying to be justified by the law, by my good works or anything else। The problem of my sin has only one solution. It is a perfect solution and it will work for any man or woman who calls out to Jesus. When I turn anywhere else for my defense it will fail.

All of us are guilty of crimes worthy of eternal death! Jesus has provided the only way for you to avoid the penalty. Don’t try to be justified by anyone else!







No comments:

Post a Comment