Thursday, May 14, 2009

God in Person!

"All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows who the Son is except the Father, and no one knows who the Father is except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him."

Luke 10:22

One of the difficulties of being a “radio personality” is that the people who listen to you on the radio come to believe that they really know what you are like. Even if the impression you give on the radio is totally real it is only a small segment of who you are. Over the years I spent on the radio I never met a “listener” in person who was not disappointed when they got to know the “rest of my story.”

I continually reminded myself of the “Wizard of Oz.” I was the “regular guy” sitting behind the big wall projecting a big voice to the world which had them in awe but it was not truly who I am.

Knowing another person is not simply knowing about that person or even knowing what that person says. If George Washington and Abraham Lincoln had lived at the same time and George read everything that ever was or even would be written about Abraham could he say I know him? If Abraham Lincoln read everything that had been or would be written about George Washington could he say I know him?

If you memorized the entire Bible and meditated on it day and night for the rest of your life could you say “I know God?” If I read everything ever written about a President of the United States and even memorized his speeches I still could not say “I know him.” But if I spent one hour sitting down with him and talking with the President about anything at all I could leave that conversation and say “I know the President.”

Relationships are not built on knowledge. Relationships are built on two way personal communication. Do you see why prayerlessness is a key element in ruining your relationship with God?

When a man turns to Jesus and commits his life to the Savior, Jesus reveals the Father to that man. It is the only way you can get to know God. If your relationship with God is like a radio listener who hears the words but doesn’t know the person behind the microphone then it is time to start spending some “one on one” time with the Creator of the universe.

Frankly, it is pretty intimidating at first, but it is the only way you can come to truthfully say “I know God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment