Monday, May 11, 2009

I Can’t Imagine!

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever! Amen.

Ephesians 3:20-21

There is a television commercial in which an obviously affluent couple asks a world class architect to design a house around a water faucet. The commercial is memorable enough to serve the purpose of the company that makes the faucets, but the concept is ludicrous. Who would design a multi-million dollar mansion around a one hundred dollar bathroom water faucet?

These verses in Ephesians state with certainty that we cannot ask God for something beyond His ability to accomplish. Believing that is fundamental to a life of peace as a follower of Jesus.

When I believe that Jesus is able to do immeasurably more than all I ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within me then there is no such thing as a hopeless situation. Discouragement and depression depend on the removal of hope from my life. But I can hope in Jesus until I take my last breath!

Does that mean life will not be hard? Of course not! I may be troubled and in pain, but with Jesus I will not despair.

Just for the sake of argument try to think of something that God cannot do. Imagine a situation that is beyond His ability to address. List the greatest possible life crises. Sickness or death, financial crisis, political crises, loss or freedom, war and pestilence, and of course don’t forget persecution. Are any of these too big for God to touch with His hand?

The Bible says in John 14 that Jesus is going to prepare a place for me! Isn’t that like designing a multi-million dollar home around a water faucet? Jesus is designing and building a place in heaven especially for me! I will like everything about it.

When I feel troubled and down in these tough times, I can try to imagine that place He is preparing for me.

A novel with great characters and a great story line will be a complete failure if the ending does not satisfy the reader. As a follower of Jesus Christ your story may be difficult, and indeed will be, but the end of the story will be totally satisfying and a victory even beyond your own imagination!

No comments:

Post a Comment