Sunday, November 17, 2013

Wanderer Returns!

Click here to listen to blog.
Christ carried the burden
of our sins.
He was nailed to the cross,
so we would stop sinning
and start living right.
By his cuts and bruises
you are healed.
You had wandered away
like sheep.
Now you have returned
to the one
who is your shepherd
and protector.

1 Peter 2:24-25

As a very small boy and I wasn't paying careful attention. I was with my mother in the grocery store and was captivated by all the pretty boxes of food and the sound of many people talking. Then suddenly I could not see my mother. Panic quickly came alive in my heart and in just a few seconds I became frantic. Then I saw my mother and ran up behind her and grabbed on to her coat. It was not her!

The end of that story is happy and not spectacular. In just a few moments my mother had found me. But I had learned a great lesson about keeping my eyes always on my mother when we were out in the world!
My trip to the grocery as a little boy reminds me of my walk with Jesus. At first I am confident and secure with Jesus. He even carries me in His arms much of the time. But then I begin to walk with Him and without even realizing it I become enamored with the world around me and wander off a bit. I haven't gone far, but when I look I don't see Jesus anymore.

Here is where I am not like a child. I don't immediately run to find my Lord. I think, "He must be near, so I don't need to worry." But I lose track to time and my wandering goes on and on, even for years during which I don't see my Lord.

Now is the time for you to look for Jesus like a lost child trying to find his mother. This is no time to be far away from Jesus. When trouble comes make sure you are holding His hand or even being carried in His arms. Then everything will be alright.

"Lord, this world has pulled me away from You again. I have wandered away and I want to return to You today. Show me the way back to Your arms. Amen."













No comments:

Post a Comment