Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Sin and Consequences

Click here to listen to blog

The Lord said:

Ezekiel, son of man, you've heard people in Israel use the saying, “Time passes, and prophets are proved wrong.” Now tell the people that I, the Lord, am going to prove that saying wrong. No one will ever be able to use it again in Israel, because very soon everything I have said will come true! The people will hear no more useless warnings and false messages. I will give them my message, and what I say will certainly happen. Warn those rebels that the time has come for them to be punished. I, the Lord, make this promise.

Ezekiel 12:21-25

There is a very old joke about the "smartest man in the world" jumping out of an airplane after strapping on a stolen back pack which he thought was a parachute. There is no room here for the entire joke, but as you probably already know intelligence and utter foolishness sometimes go hand in hand.


We live in a world that has worked hard to remove the consequences of sin. We have come to believe that sin should be avoided because of the consequences, and so if you can eliminate the consequences of sin there is no need to keep yourself from it. But we have forgotten that sin is not wrong because of the consequences. Sin is wrong because it is rebellion against God and His Word!


If you are a follower of Jesus Christ, it is not the consequences of sin that keep you from it. Christians stay away from sin not to make sure that suffering does not come their way because of rebellion. Christians don't sin because it makes Jesus sad when they do! When I follow Jesus, I live to please God! Whatever pleases God, that's what I desire to do.


Here is the problem for those who avoid sin only because of the consequences. The righteous will also suffer just like those who sin and suffer for it. Suffering and righteousness go hand in hand because we are molded into the image of Jesus Christ and He was the ultimate sufferer. No matter how you live this life will include lots of pain. There is no way to keep yourself from experiencing pain and suffering. Your choice is to suffer for sin, or suffer for righteousness. Suffering for righteousness has a glorious ending, suffering for sin does not!


"Lord Jesus, give me a heart to stay away from sin because of Your love for me. Show me today how to make You happy! And when the pain comes because of Your righteousness working in me assure me once again that You are with me always, even to the end of the world! Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment