Saturday, January 23, 2016

From Today to Eternity!

 



Samuel served the Lord by helping Eli the priest, who was by that time almost blind. In those days, the Lord hardly ever spoke directly to people, and he did not appear to them in dreams very often. But one night, Eli was asleep in his room, and Samuel was sleeping on a mat near the sacred chest in the Lord’s house. They had not been asleep very long  when the Lord called out Samuel’s name.
“Here I am!” Samuel answered.  Then he ran to Eli and said, “Here I am. What do you want?”
“I didn’t call you,” Eli answered. “Go back to bed.”
Samuel went back.
Again the Lord called out Samuel’s name. Samuel got up and went to Eli. “Here I am,” he said. “What do you want?”
Eli told him, “Son, I didn’t call you. Go back to sleep.”
The Lord had not spoken to Samuel before, and Samuel did not recognize the voice. When the Lord called out his name for the third time, Samuel went to Eli again and said, “Here I am. What do you want?”
Eli finally realized that it was the Lord who was speaking to Samuel.  So he said, “Go back and lie down! If someone speaks to you again, answer, ‘I’m listening, Lord. What do you want me to do?’”
Once again Samuel went back and lay down.
The Lord then stood beside Samuel and called out as he had done before, “Samuel! Samuel!”
“I’m listening,” Samuel answered. “What do you want me to do?”
 
1Samuel 3:1-10 
 
Samuel heard the voice of the Lord and thought it was someone else. The Lord spoke four times to Samuel before the boy finally recognized that it was God and asked Him what He wanted. When God speaks to your heart do you ask Him what He wants you to do, or do you refuse to recognize that the voice speaking to your heart is God? 
 
Like Samuel, until you recognize that it is God speaking you will not be able to hear what He is saying! Does God only tell you things that are of monumental significance and are "earth shattering?" Or does God sometimes want to speak to you about the most ordinary things? 
 
God is not limited in what He can say to your heart and mind. God can give you insight into a verse of Scripture and He can open your understanding about the beauty of a common flower. Whenever you hear the voice of the Lord, be like Samuel and say: "I'm listening what do you want me to do?"  Then your life will become an exciting journey from today to eternity! 
 
"Lord Jesus, give me ears to hear Your voice and the strength to obey Your every wish. May You, be praised forever. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment