Sunday, August 23, 2009

Glorious Impossibility!

I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Ephesians 3:17b-19

When I was a little boy my mother and I would play a simple game. She would ask: “How much do you love me?” And I would answer: “I love you more than words can tell.” Then I would ask her and she would repeat the “more than words can tell” answer.

It was a simple word game but there is a profound reality in that little banter. To grasp and accurately describe love, even the love in my own heart for my mother is beyond the scope of language. I may see part of the love in my heart, but there are depths of love that reach places in my heart that only God Himself can see.

So how can I describe the love of Christ? How can I ever grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ? Truthfully, it is indeed impossible, but it is a Glorious Impossibility!

Even though I could not describe the love I had for my mother when I was a child, the love that she had for me was a vivid reality that I could always see in her. As I grew up I questioned many things in life, but my mother’s love for me was not one of them.

When little children are taught about the reality of Jesus generally they are taught the greatest truth first. The greatest truth is this: “Jesus loves me, this I know. For the Bible tells me so!”

Jesus loves me more than words can tell. He didn’t just tell me He loves me. Jesus came to this world for my sake and when it was time He went to the cross for me! His love for me can be felt in every breath I take and every sunrise I see. His love is apparent in every smile that comes on my face and every peaceful and happy thought that runs through my mind. The love of Jesus pursues my every moment. When Jesus lived in the flesh He calmed the storm. Now Jesus calms me in the storms of life.

Jesus is the author of romance. Jesus seeks my love and orchestrates life itself to point my attention toward Him. Why did this or that unusual thing happen in your day? It was because Jesus wants you to turn your heart and attention completely to Him.

I can’t describe the love of Jesus because every day there is more to see of His love for me. Every sunrise reminds me of the ones before, but every sunrise is also totally unique. Every day of Jesus’ love reminds me of His love during the days before, but each day Jesus’ love is also special beyond description!

No comments:

Post a Comment