Friday, October 2, 2009

The Desire of Jesus!


Father, I want everyone you have given me to be with me, wherever I am. Then they will see the glory that you have given me, because you loved me before the world was created.

John 17:24

Many stories spring from the “three wishes” and the “genie in a bottle” concept. It touches our greatest yearnings. If our greatest longing could be fulfilled, what a difference that would make in our lives.

That is why people waste their money buying lottery tickets. There is a chance, if even an extremely small one, that they will win the lottery and have every earthly desire fulfilled!

But what does Jesus desire? What does He put high on the list of things that He wants more than anything? Even loving children rarely think about what their parent’s desire. As Christians we rarely, if ever think about the desires of Jesus. I think we believe that since Jesus is God then anything He desires is automatically His to claim. The desire of Jesus is at the heart of the story of the Bible. Amazingly, God created a world in which the fulfillment of His desire depends on the choice of man. Jesus said, “Father, I want everyone you have given me to be with me, wherever I am.”

God has created man with the ability to reject Jesus or accept Him. Like nothing else in all of creation we can reject God’s desire. Eternal punishment for rejecting God is certainly appropriate, but the awesomeness of God is clearly seen in the fact He created us with the ability to reject Him.

The glorious truth about the creation of Man is that God bestowed on us the ability to bless God. We can give to God that which He cannot force us to give. We can freely love God and His Son Jesus Christ! God gave you everything, but you can give to God that which He cannot give to Himself.

So when I choose to spend my day “with God” I am giving to God a blessing. Being with Jesus is fulfilling His desire.

I need Jesus more than anything else in life, but the mind boggling reality is that Jesus needs me too!

No comments:

Post a Comment