Saturday, October 24, 2009

Where Do You Come From?


This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.
You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them. We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirit of truth and the spirit of falsehood.
1John 4:2-6

I am from Tennessee. I was born in Columbia, Tennessee just after the end of World War II and even though I haven’t lived in the South in almost thirty years I can still be identified as a Tennessean by my speech. I have lost much of my southern accent, but there is still enough of it left to let the discerning listener know where I come from.

I may be able to change the way I sound and the viewpoint of the world that I espouse, but I can never change the fact that I am from Tennessee. When it comes to the things of God there is a big difference. Every man who was ever born is “from the world.” We are born into a lost and dying world and are by our very nature destined to spend eternity in Hell! It is the tragic result of the CHOICE THAT CHANGED EVERYTHING in the Garden of Eden.

But when I accept Jesus Christ and come to Him on His terms the destination of my life changes, but also the origination of my life changes! 1 John 4:6 says that we are from God! That is a miracle and it is often overlooked. I was “from the world” but now I am “from God.” That means that God can not only change my future, but He can change my history as well.

So now I speak as one who is from God not as one who is from the world. I’m sure you can still detect in my speech the fact that I was from the world before I was from God, but I have been changed.

Let Jesus change your future and your past!

No comments:

Post a Comment