Monday, October 12, 2009

Judge My Words!

24"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash."

Matthew 7:24-27

Someone recently reminded me of the “old saying” AFTER ALL IS SAID AND DONE, MORE IS SAID THAN DONE! Words without action are hollow and meaningless. The essence of a lie is words without action or words without content. When we lie we may speak the right words but there is no action or truth to back them up.

For most of my adult life my work has been involved with words, spoken and written. I enjoy words and I enjoy putting words together to express just the right nuance of meaning for a special thought. I find it satisfying and fun to dabble in the art of creative writing. But words are simply pictures of reality. When I begin to think that my words themselves are truth then I am like an artist who looks at his own painting and believes he is looking out of his window at the sunset. It is quite alright to paint a picture of a sunset, but a man who looks at his own art work and believes he is looking at the real thing is indeed deceived!

The importance of the Word of God is not that it is beautiful and sacred. God’s Word is important because the words in the Bible represent truth in every syllable. When I listen to a man speak I know that his words will be salted and peppered with untruths. After the fall, every man is a liar. Our best lies are the ones we tell to ourselves. Deception is the root of the “Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.” But when God speaks there is nothing but Truth! So when I hear a man I must judge whether or not he is speaking truth, but when I hear God’s Word I must judge whether or not my life is conformed to the Truth He speaks!

So I urge you to judge these words, except the quotation from Matthew chapter 7. You must judge my words, but don’t forget that the Word of God is not for you to judge, rather the Word of God will judge you!

No comments:

Post a Comment