Monday, October 5, 2009

Rest of the Story!


"For my thoughts are not your thoughts,

neither are your ways my ways,"

declares the LORD.

"As the heavens are higher than the earth,

so are my ways higher than your ways

and my thoughts than your thoughts.”


Isaiah 55:8-9

I remember two little boys talking about things they did not yet understand. From the perspective of more than fifty years later the conversation would be great comedy! My friend and I knew a little about “grown up” things, but very little and our attempt to fill in the void in our knowledge with speculation demonstrated the pinnacle of inaccuracy!

But “when I became a man” as the Apostle Paul said it, I put away childish things.

Today when I think about Heaven and our life with God after this life on earth comes to a close, I feel much like I did as a child. I know a little of what is to come, but the specifics are not available to my limited ability to grasp such truth. And yet I am encouraged to “set my mind on things above.”

I feel like the man who is given the task of counting all the grains of sand on the beaches of the world. The man can count. Counting is easy, but the enormity of the task of counting the sand is beyond any man’s ability. It simply cannot be done! Knowing the thoughts and ways of God is the same. We can know His thoughts and His ways, but not all of them. When God reveals to us one of His thoughts or one of His ways we can know it, but the remaining reservoir of His thoughts and ways has an infinite supply!

Drink deeply from that water and rest in the Love of Jesus. The rest of the story will be ours to know when we arrive at His feet in Glory! Both meanings of the word “rest” are appropriate in this sentence!

No comments:

Post a Comment