Thursday, October 29, 2009

Fishermen for Christ!


Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus.
He called out to them, "Friends, haven't you any fish?"
"No," they answered.
He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some." When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.
John 21:4-6

This story in John 21 appears to be simple enough at first glance, but it is filled with amazing facts! Jesus told the disciples where to catch153 large fish. Why would John remember that specific number and why did they count them in the first place? This passage also says that the net did not rip even though it was obviously overloaded. In fact, they had to drag it to the shore since it was too full to bring into the boat.

Then there is this fact; Jesus already had fish on a fire which had burned long enough to have hot coals. That takes a while. Jesus also had bread. Where did Jesus get the fish? How did Jesus start the fire? This time when Peter got out of a boat to go to Jesus he had to swim not walk on water. Jesus told them to bring some of the fish they had caught to cook with the fish He already had. What significance could that have?

So there are the disciples and Peter who was dripping wet from his swim to shore eating breakfast with Jesus on the shore after a night of fishing.

Then Jesus challenges Peter three times about whether or not he really loves the Lord.

Sometimes when I encounter the risen Lord it comes after a long night of failing to succeed at my occupation. Jesus calls out and asks me whether or not I have caught any fish. Then Jesus tells me how to succeed. This is where I am most tempted to wander from His calling on my life. Peter and the disciples could have decided that they could use the “Right side of the boat” philosophy and revolutionize the fishing industry. In what is probably a poor play on words, if the disciples had decided to become “Fishermen for Christ” they would have truly missed the boat. Jesus didn’t want them to fish for fish. He called them to fish for men!

So when I hear the voice of Jesus telling me how to fill my net with fish it does not mean that those fish are the purpose of my life. Jesus is the purpose of my life. The fish that He directs me to catch are the evidence of His power!

No comments:

Post a Comment