Friday, January 2, 2015

How Can God Not Remember?

Click here to listen to blog

But Christ offered himself as a sacrifice that is good forever. Now he is sitting at God's right side, and he will stay there until his enemies are put under his power.  By his one sacrifice he has forever set free from sin the people he brings to God.  The Holy Spirit also speaks of this by telling us that the Lord said,  “When the time comes, I will make an agreement with them.I will write my laws on their minds and hearts.  Then I will forget about their sins and no longer remember their evil deeds.”

Hebrews 10:12-17

I am told that it is a sign of aging. The ability to forget things, and sometimes they are important things, is part of growing older. When I go to the store, I always take a list. If it is important that I remember anything, it is best that I write it down.


But how can God forget about my sins and no longer remember my evil deeds? I know that God can do anything, but doesn't it strike a blow against the "all-knowing" nature of God to say that He forgets my sins?

I want to propose another possibility of how to understand God's forgetfulness.


What if God's forgetfulness is based upon the fact that the sacrifice of Jesus not only paid the price for my sins, but also wiped them from the annuls of history? If God can do anything, He can not only forgive my sins, but also re-write history and remove them from the record. Then it would make perfect sense that even God Almighty cannot remember my sins, because they are no longer there!


Perhaps forgiven sins are like a dream at night. The dream seems so real and we get very involved and even upset about the dream. But in the morning we realize that it was not real. Your sins may be like that dream when the Blood of Jesus is applied to your life. That part of your life seemed so very real, but when Jesus' Blood is applied to your history, your sins vanish!


Now here is a most amazing reality. If I am to be like God in my heart and mind, then I too will not remember my sins! And I will not remember your sins as well! I can live in peace with the Righteousness of Christ evident in every part of my life!

So when the Devil tempts you by "reminding you of your sin," tell Satan to bring your sin up to God and see if God remembers it! Because of Jesus Blood even God can't remember the wrongs you have done!


"Lord Jesus, renew my heart and mind to remember only the things that You can remember! May You be praised forever. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment