Saturday, May 14, 2016

Night Prayers Instead of Nightmares!




One night while Solomon was in Gibeon, the Lord God appeared to him in a dream and said, “Solomon, ask for anything you want, and I will give it to you.”

Solomon answered:  My father David, your servant, was honest and did what you commanded. You were always loyal to him, and you gave him a son who is now king.  Lord God, I'm your servant, and you've made me king in my father's place. But I'm very young and know so little about being a leader.  And now I must rule your chosen people, even though there are too many of them to count. Please make me wise and teach me the difference between right and wrong. Then I will know how to rule your people. If you don't, there is no way I could rule this great nation of yours.

God said:
Solomon, I'm pleased that you asked for this. You could have asked to live a long time or to be rich. Or you could have asked for your enemies to be destroyed. Instead, you asked for wisdom to make right decisions.  So I'll make you wiser than anyone who has ever lived or ever will live.  I'll also give you what you didn't ask for. You'll be rich and respected as long as you live, and you'll be greater than any other king.   If you obey me and follow my commands, as your father David did, I'll let you live a long time.

Solomon woke up and realized that God had spoken to him in the dream.

1 Kings 3:5-15a

One of the most famous prayers in the entire Bible was uttered by Solomon during a dream at night. God spoke to Solomon while he was asleep and Solomon's answer while dreaming changed everything in his life.

Even as a boy I was taught that I was not responsible for my dreams. If I had a nightmare my mother would tell me it was only a dream. But Solomon’s dream was much more than the wanderings of his sleeping mind!  God was speaking and Solomon responded while still asleep!

“Jesus, I ask You to be the Lord of my heart even while I sleep.  Instead of nightmares, give me night prayers, that I may be guided by Your Holy Spirit every hour of every day!  And may You, Jesus be praised forever. Amen.”


No comments:

Post a Comment