Thursday, March 27, 2014

Eternal Security

Click here to listen to blog

Beside the Ahava River, I asked the people to go without eating and to pray. We humbled ourselves and asked God to bring us and our children safely to Jerusalem with all of our possessions. I was ashamed to ask the king to send soldiers and cavalry to protect us against enemies along the way. After all, we had told the king that our God takes care of everyone who truly worships him, but that he gets very angry and punishes anyone who refuses to obey. So we went without food and asked God himself to protect us, and he answered our prayers.

Ezra 8:21-23

Ezra could have asked for protection from the King himself and there is no doubt he would have gotten it. But Ezra chose to depend on the protection of God rather than the protection of the king! Did the shipment need guarding? Well according to my very rough estimate they were transporting more than $100,000,000 worth of gold alone! Add to that the silver and you definitely have the need for security!

The question for me today is this: Am I depending on security systems, gated communities, armed guards and a stable government with reliable police for my security? Or am I depending on God to protect me on my journey through life? If I am looking for protection from humans, I can be sure that ultimately human security systems will break down and fail. But God will never and can never fail! If I love the Lord and trust Him in everything then I can know for sure that even those things that appear to be tragedies in my life will ultimately work together for good!

There is no situation in life where it is foolish to trust God instead of men. Certainly God uses men to accomplish his purposes on earth. But God alone is the One you should trust, depend on and rest in as you journey toward the New Jerusalem!

"Lord Jesus, I am so often tempted to trust men rather than trusting You. May You be the One today to guard my steps and keep my path safe from all enemies. And may Your praises be heard everywhere on earth! Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment