Sunday, October 6, 2013

Just Like Joe Palooka!

 

Click here to listen to blog

The Scriptures say, “God commanded light to shine in the dark.” Now God is shining in our hearts to let you know that his glory is seen in Jesus Christ.

We are like clay jars in which this treasure is stored. The real power comes from God and not from us. We often suffer, but we are never crushed. Even when we don't know what to do, we never give up. In times of trouble, God is with us, and when we are knocked down, we get up again.

2 Corinthians 4:6-9

One Christmas my brother and I got a "Joe Palooka" punching bag. It stood about four feet tall, was plastic, filled with air and had sand in the bottom and had a picture of the cartoon boxer Joe Palooka printed on it. Whenever you knocked it over, which was quite easy, it would stand back up again and just dare you to hit it again! Because of the sand in the base of the toy it would not stay down when you knocked it over!


If you are a follower of Jesus Christ and are filled with the Holy Spirit, then you are a lot like that Joe Palooka punching bag! In times of trouble Satan and those who serve him give it their best shot to take you out of the match. But because of the Holy Spirit in your life, you bounce right back up and are ready to take another one!


My Joe Palooka punching bag never started the fight, but it would never give up. You could not keep it down. That is also the way it is with Christians. No where in the Bible does it say that we are to go to war with unbelievers. But it does say that Satan goes around like a roaring lion looking for someone to destroy. If you follow Jesus you will be hit and hit hard. You will be knocked down, but that is when the power of God in you will be seen by everyone around as you bounce back up and stand tall for Him!


"Lord Jesus, I so often feel like a punching bag for Satan and the world around me. I am attacked on all sides, but because of Your Spirit in me I can bounce back up every time! Help me today to trust even as I am being hit that I will bounce back up and stand tall because of You. Praise Your Name forever. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment