Saturday, July 28, 2018

God's Footsteps in the Hall




City of Zion, sing and celebrate! The LORD has promised to come and live with you.  When he does, many nations will turn to him and become his people. At that time you will know that I am a prophet of the LORD All-Powerful.  Then Judah will be his part of the holy land, and Jerusalem will again be his chosen city.  Everyone, be silent! The LORD is present and moving about in his holy place.

Zechariah 2: 10 - 13

People often talk about seeing the Lord, or wanting to see the Lord.  But these verses talk about hearing the Lord.  They tell us to be silent so that we can hear God as He moves about!  

Usually when we think about hearing the Lord, we are referring to hearing His Words.  And hearing His Words is of course a very important way you can hear Him.  But Zechariah here is talking about hearing the Lord as He moves about His Holy place!

When I was a child I remember the moments before I would fall asleep at night and I could hear my mother and father moving about the house.  Sometimes they were talking, although I could rarely tell what they were saying.  But often, it was just their footsteps in the hall that brought a sense of comfort and safety to my heart.

How can you hear the footsteps of God when you are quiet before Him?  I hear God moving about when a storm goes through our town.  I hear God when He sends His Spirit to revive the hearts of believers and convict the hearts of sinners to turn to Him in culture changing ways!  As an old song once said, I hear God when a baby cries!  And I can hear God as the wind rustles through the leaves.

Of course, there are times when you can “see” God around you, but even when you can’t see the Lord, listen for the sound of Him moving about in His Holy Place.


“Thank You Jesus that you know how to move in Your Holy place and let us hear the sound of Your footsteps in the hall!  Praise Your Holy Name now and forever.  Amen.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment