Friday, July 6, 2018

Nothing is as Wonderful




Nothing is as wonderful as knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. I have given up everything else and count it all as garbage. All I want is Christ and to know that I belong to him. I could not make myself acceptable to God by obeying the Law of Moses. God accepted me simply because of my faith in Christ.  All I want is to know Christ and the power that raised him to life. I want to suffer and die as he did, so that somehow I also may be raised to life.

Philippians 3: 8 - 11

It has been more than 50 years since I first heard and sang the song “To Be Like Jesus.”  The words simply said that, “all I want” is to be like Him!  With great sincerity and I know an honest heart I wanted to be like Jesus, but I knew little of what that would mean in my life.  And I am sure that I still don’t know the depth of what being like Jesus will mean for the rest of my days here on earth!

Being like Jesus is, first of all the deliberate act of giving up Glory!  Jesus did not seek the first place in His life here on earth, but rather He sought the last and lowest place!

Being like Jesus is when you are the target for the wrath of Satan!  Jesus, more than Job was pummeled by the Devil’s desire to destroy the object of God’s approval!

Being like Jesus is when you live your entire life for the sake of others!  Sacrifice and service are the things that make you like your Lord!  Jesus came to serve and not to be served!  

Jesus came to rescue us from sin and death, not to remake the world into “Heaven on earth.”  You can be like Jesus and have the most amazing relationship with Him while living in the most godless culture imaginable!  Jesus overcame the world instead of remodeling it!


“Lord Jesus, I do want to know You better today than ever before.  Show me how I can be more like You!  Praise Your Holy Name, now and forever.  Amen.’

No comments:

Post a Comment