Sunday, June 26, 2011

Fear of Falling!

 
Offer praise to God our Savior because of our Lord Jesus Christ! Only God can keep you from falling and make you pure and joyful in his glorious presence. Before time began and now and forevermore, God is worthy of glory, honor, power, and authority. Amen.
Jude 1:24-25

They call it the fear of heights, but for me that is not true. I am not afraid of being in a high place, I am rather afraid of falling! I hear the "what if I slip or lose my grip" comment like a drumbeat in my head. My fear of falling begins when I get just a few feet above where I can safely jump down to the ground. I don't know if there are support groups for people who fear falling, but I do know that the fear is terrifyingly real and can be debilitating.

You may think it strange but I am not afraid of flying. I don't like bumpy flights, but my fear of falling does not present itself when I look out of the window of an airplane thousands of feet above the earth. The reason is quite simple. When I am hanging on to a ladder 25 feet above the ground, if I let go I will fall! So it all depends on me. I don't trust myself not to let go or slip up and fall off of the ladder. But when I am in an airplane I cannot fall out of the plane. My fate does not depend on me, it depends on the pilot and the plane and I trust them both or I would not be there in the first place.

In life itself, when I try to climb the heights on my own I am terrified that I may make one misstep and fall to my destruction. So I stay low and take no risks. But with Jesus I can soar to the heavens. With Jesus and in His arms I cannot fall because He will not let go of me! My peace that passes understanding remains as long as I am resting in the grip of the love of Jesus! I never ponder how far the fall would be because I know that Jesus will never let me go!

In your struggle in life get off of the ladder and into the arms of Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment