Thursday, July 10, 2014

Let Suffering Work!

IMG_5610

 

The people who lived through these terrible troubles did not turn away from the idols they had made, and they did not stop worshiping demons. They kept on worshiping idols that were made of gold, silver, bronze, stone, and wood. Not one of these idols could see, hear, or walk.   No one stopped murdering or practicing witchcraft or being immoral or stealing.

Revelation 9:20-21

 

The original purpose for spanking a child was to provide an incentive for good behavior. Believe it or not, I only remember being spanked once and that was when I was five years old. And I guess you might know that my "sin" was saying the wrong thing to a group of women who had come to our house for a Tupperware party. That was more than 60 years ago, but if you don't mind I think I will keep the details of my embarrassing moment a secret!


Often repentance follows suffering. When personal pain comes from doing the thing you should have not done, it does make sense that you change your ways and avoid doing that again.


But during the terrible troubles described in the Book of Revelation the suffering does not stop the sin. Men and women will keep on in their rebellion against God and His ways in spite of the painful results!


My training in "saying the right thing" may have begun when I was five years old, but it continues today. Only, today my Heaven Father is the one who "spanks" when I offend!


Here is the lesson for me today! When trouble, pain, or sorrow comes I must let it focus my heart and my life on being more obedient to Jesus Christ. If you will let them, difficulties and suffering will purify your heart before the Lord. When trouble comes, temptations will lose their power!


"Lord Jesus, thank You for letting me suffer enough to be reminded of my need to turn my heart away from sin! And may You be praised forever! Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment