Friday, August 12, 2011

Everyone is an Artist!

Listen to this blog.


My dear friends, remember the warning you were given by the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ. They told you that near the end of time, selfish and godless people would start making fun of God.

Jude 1:17-18

Everyone is an artist, and every man draws a picture of God in his own mind. Some pictures of God are majestic and glorious and some are small and even silly. But every living human being has some concept of the One who controls the truths of the universe. Even those who make fun of God have a concept of who He is.

How do you decide what brush strokes to make when you paint your picture of God? Do you just take your bucket of paint and randomly throw it at the canvas and declare that whatever results is a picture of God? Do you get a mirror and try to make your picture of God look just like you? That won't work very well because when you look in a mirror everything is backwards!

Do you remember the old "paint by the numbers" kits. It was great for kids. All you had to do was put the right color in the right spot and you eventually had a complete picture of a mountain, or tree or bird.

Painting a picture of God is much the same. As I go through life I see a little more of God and I fill in that blank in the picture. As a child I thought I understood God completely, but as I grew I found out that there is so much more to the picture of God that still needed to be painted. Every time I fill in one color on my painting of God I find there are two more than need to be added which I never saw before.

One of the things that we do, often without even knowing it, is to compare our picture of God with other people. When your picture of God is similar to mine we are drawn together. When our pictures look very different we find little opportunity to fellowship.

As you paint your picture of God there is only one way to make sure you are getting all the colors in the right places. The Bible is the only place where you can find an absolutely accurate picture of God. Spend time each day comparing your picture of God to the one in the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment