Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Good Defense Doesn't Win the Battle!

Listen to this blog.

On the day the Lord gave the Amorites over to Israel, Joshua said to the Lord in the presence of Israel:
"Sun, stand still over Gibeon,
and you, moon, over the Valley of Aijalon."

So the sun stood still,
and the moon stopped,
till the nation avenged itself on its enemies,
as it is written in the Book of Jashar.
The sun stopped in the middle of the sky and delayed going down about a full day.

Joshua 10:12-13

When there was not enough time to finish the battle with the Amorites Joshua asked God to push the pause button on time itself until the job was complete!

It seems that time either goes too fast or too slow. We either have too much time and are bored, or we have too little time and are anxious. There have been many times in my life when I have silently prayed that God would make this day at school or work go faster. There have also been times when I wanted God to make today last longer because of the joy I was experiencing. But I never prayed that God would stop the sun and moon so I could be engaged in the battle with the Enemy of Righteousness!

I think the problem is this: I have believed that standing against the attacks of Satan is all that it takes to qualify me as an over comer. When my defenses against sin are strong I consider myself an excellent soldier. Battles are not won by having a good defense. No one ever won a football game only by keeping the other team from scoring. To win the game you must carry the ball across the line!
If your spiritual warfare has only been defensive ask God to show you how you can attack Satan!

"Lord, show me today how I can strike a blow in the spiritual battle that is raging all around. Give me a heart for the eternal victory that belongs only to You!"

No comments:

Post a Comment