Friday, January 27, 2012

Are You a Pretender?

Listen to this blog.

This is what you must write to the angel of the church in Ephesus: I am the one who holds the seven stars in my right hand, and I walk among the seven gold lampstands. Listen to what I say.

I know everything you have done, including your hard work and how you have endured. I know you won’t put up with anyone who is evil. When some people pretended to be apostles, you tested them and found out that they were liars.

You have endured and gone through hard times because of me, and you have not given up.

But I do have something against you! And it is this: You don’t have as much love as you used to. Think about where you have fallen from, and then turn back and do as you did at first. If you don’t turn back, I will come and take away your lampstand.

Revelation 2:1-5

Children love to play “pretend.”  I think it is often how a child decides on the ultimate direction of his life. I would be surprised to find a doctor who had not pretended to be a doctor as a child. I know in my own childhood I loved to pretend that I was talking on the radio. Throughout my adult years I have done some of that "for real."

It is wonderful and helpful for children to pretend, but when adults do it the consequences can be sad, pitiful, or even tragic. Do you remember the man who was called "the great pretender?" He would impersonate competent people in different occupations. I think the worst he did was when he pretended to be a surgeon!

As a follower of Jesus are you looking forward to what you will become?   Like a child are you imagining what it will be like, or are you just pretending to be what you are not and are not on the path to become?

"Lord give me the vision to dream about what it will be like when I am standing before you in Heaven, or even what it will be like after more years of following you here on earth.  But Lord, keep me from the deception of pretending to be something that you have not called and empowered me to be!"

Don't be afraid to dream about what you will be when Jesus returns, but never  pretend to be something you are not in Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment