Sunday, January 15, 2012

Wet or Dry?

Listen to this blog.

Gideon prayed to God, “I know that you promised to help me rescue Israel, but I need proof. Tonight I’ll put some wool on the stone floor of that threshing-place over there. If you really will help me rescue Israel, then tomorrow morning let there be dew on the wool, but let the stone floor be dry.”
 
And that’s just what happened. Early the next morning, Gideon got up and checked the wool. He squeezed out enough water to fill a bowl.

But Gideon prayed to God again. “Don’t be angry at me,” Gideon said. “Let me try this just one more time, so I’ll really be sure you’ll help me. Only this time, let the wool be dry and the stone floor be wet with dew.”
 
That night, God made the stone floor wet with dew, but he kept the wool dry.

Judges 6:36-40

I have for years been critical of Gideon in my heart because he came back the second night and asked for another sign to show him that God wanted to use him to rescue Israel. Wasn't the wet wool on dry ground enough? Did he really need dry wool on wet ground to prove that he was walking after the will of God? Well God did not get angry or even upset at Gideon for asking for another sign.

Today, as we prepare to do battle for God, He gives us a sign that we belong to Him and are indeed called into this conflict.

The Holy Spirit is the sign and is a down payment on Heaven. The King James version of the Bible says the Holy Spirit is like earnest money. That is a small payment guaranteeing that you will come through with the rest of the promise. God is not offended when we ask for a confirmation that we belong to Him.

With the Holy Spirit in your heart you can see daily evidences of your eternal relationship with God Himself. Those who don't believe would call them co-incidences, but with faith in your heart you see the wool wet or the wool dry every day as you prepare to step out of your comfort zone for God!

No comments:

Post a Comment