Thursday, January 5, 2012

My Sin!

Listen to this blog.


“On the twenty-fourth day of the seventh month, the people of Israel went without eating, and they dressed in sackcloth and threw dirt on their heads to show their sorrow. They refused to let foreigners join them, as they met to confess their sins and the sins of their ancestors.

For three hours they stood and listened to the Law of the Lord their God, and then for the next three hours they confessed their sins and worshiped the Lord.”

Nehemiah 9:1-3

It is easy to confess the sins of other people. When I look around and see how others are living I can see how sinful they are. It is a little harder to confess the sins of my ancestors. So often I am still swimming in the wake of their sin and I can be implicated in what they did. It is always the hardest to confess my own sin.

Frankly, it makes me a little nervous to even walk in to this subject. I spend much of my day trying to ignore my own sin. I know that other people see it plainly, but I pretend that it is not there. I think my most frequent sin is looking at other people and forgetting how much God loves them! Even though I know it is wrong I so often judge another person by the externals of their life. What do they look like, how do they dress and a thousand other outward appearance items that really tell me nothing about the inner man. I also judge men by their intelligence and education. If I encounter a man who obviously doesn't know what he is talking about and is adamant in his ignorance I can quickly forget how much God loves that man as well.

Add to all of this the fleeting thoughts that I sometimes allow to stay too long in my mind. If I were to see my sin as God could see it before it was covered by the blood of Jesus I could easily say with the apostle Paul that I am the chief of sinners.

I frequently hear the voice of the Enemy say, "You are not as bad as the other sinners!" Oh yes I am, my sin sent Jesus to the Cross and so did yours. The human consequences of our sin may be some greater than others, but the eternal consequences are all the same. Sin brings death to every man, but Jesus Christ and His Blood brings eternal life to every sinner who turns to Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment